International Consulting Services
WEST’s ecologists and statisticians have learned how to take their extensive experience with wildlife issues in the Renewable Energy markets in the U.S. and Canada and apply it to emerging Renewable Energy markets in Latin America and other regions. Couple this scientific expertise with one of the most extensive Renewable Energy databases on wind/wildlife issues of any private company in the U.S., and WEST is uniquely capable of providing a broad suite of environmental services for projects internationally.
WEST’s core services cover the life cycle of wind and solar energy projects and include site selection and characterization, design and analysis of appropriate wildlife studies, mitigation strategies, management plans, cumulative impacts analysis, and independent due diligence services for developers, international finance institutions, and governments. The ability to deliver cost-effective solutions to our clients is a benchmark of the company that will be maintained in our International Markets.
- Critical Issues Analysis
- Site Characterization Studies
- Study Design
- Avian Studies
- Bat Surveys
- Threatened and Endangered Species Surveys
- Radar, drone and other state-of-the-art technology services
- Post-Construction Fatality Monitoring
- Data Analysis and Reporting
- Operational Mitigation Strategies
- Avian and Bat Conservation/Management Plans
- Cumulative Impacts Analysis
- Due Diligence Reviews
- Third Party Environmental Compliance Monitoring and Review
- Management Services for Environmental Studies
Latin America Experience
- Staff biologists fluent in Spanish language and experienced at performing work and managing projects in Latin America
- Experience conducting ecological studies in Puerto Rico, Mexico, Belize, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Peru, and Brazil
- Experience developing and conducting innovative, collaborative, and effective wind-wildlife studies in Mexico, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica
- Proficient at pre-construction baseline surveys for birds (e.g., point counts, migration surveys) and bats (e.g., acoustic monitoring, mist netting), including rapid-assessment techniques
- Proficient at post-construction monitoring surveys for birds and bats, including expert design and analysis skills to produce robust, reliable, fatality estimates
- Conducting due diligence reviews for international development banks
- Familiarity with World Bank Wind Energy Guidelines, International Finance Corporation (IFC) Performance Standards and guidance documents that specify compliance recommendations for development projects
- Familiarity with International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List, Ramsar Convention, and other international environmental protection agreements and policies
- Familiarity with International Best Practices for wind and solar energy
- In-country professional networks in Latin America
WEST’s team includes over ten staff members experienced with wildlife studies, in Mexico, Central America, South America, and Africa, and bilingual speakers from South America.
WEST’s International Program core team consists of highly experienced biologists with extensive knowledge in the growing market in Latin America and other regions.
WEST’s Core International Team: