Statistics & Biometrics
Biometricians with WEST are internationally known for their common sense application of statistics to solve natural resource problems; we specialize in practical, state-of-the-art design and analysis of field and laboratory studies. WEST’s statisticians have written and published many books and articles on the use of statistics in natural resource applications. To complement these publications, we offer a variety of short courses and workshops on the application of statistics to natural resource and wildlife issues.
WEST provides state-of-the-art consulting on the development, review, and analysis of studies designed to estimate the size and geographic extent of a biological population using capture-recapture, distance sampling, and aerial survey methods for the estimation of population parameters. Our biometricians are renowned experts in distance sampling and in the development of models for analysis of capture-recapture. Notably, our experts have spent more than a decade developing and conducting population surveys for golden eagles across a ~2 million km2 area in the western United States for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
WEST’s major contribution for many clients is expert consultation on design and statistical analysis of field ecology studies. Emphasis is placed on development of research protocols and standard field procedures that result in statistical inferences justified by the study design. WEST employees often contribute to field studies by directly participating in collection of field data to ensure scientifically sound results.
Areas of Expertise:
- General and Advanced Statistical Analysis Techniques
- Design and Statistical Analysis of Environmental Field Studies
- Estimation of Biological Population Size, Including Capture/Recapture and Distance Methods
- Resource Selection Studies
- Pre-, During-, and Post-Construction Studies
- Design and Analysis of Marine Mammal Studies
- Educational Workshops, Short-Courses and Professional Training
- Design and Development of Computer Programs for Statistical Analysis
WEST statisticians have authored or co-authored more than 250 professional journal articles and nine books on the statistical methods applied to wildlife and other natural resource problems. Many of these are available here